(1863–1933, Alexandria)
Days of 1903
I
never found them again–all lost so quickly…
the poetic eyes, the pale face…
in the darkening street…
the poetic eyes, the pale face…
in the darkening street…
I
never found them again—mine entirely by chance,
and so easily given up,
then longed for so painfully.
The poetic eyes, the pale face,
those lips—I never found them again.
and so easily given up,
then longed for so painfully.
The poetic eyes, the pale face,
those lips—I never found them again.
Giorni
del 1903
Non li
ritrovai mai – tutti persi così in fretta…
gli occhi
poetici, la faccia pallida…
nelle vie che
s’imbuivano…
Non li
ritrovai mai – miei del tutto per caso,
e tanto
leggermente rinunciati,
poi agognati
in tanta agonia.
Gli occhi
poetici, la faccia pallida,
quelle labbra,
non li ritrovai mai.
*
Walls
With
no consideration, no pity, no shame,
they have built walls around me, thick and high.
And now I sit here feeling hopeless.
I can’t think of anything else: this fate gnaws my mind –
because I had so much to do outside.
When they were building the walls, how could I have not noticed!
But I never heard the builders, not a sound.
Imperceptibly they have closed me off from the outside world.
they have built walls around me, thick and high.
And now I sit here feeling hopeless.
I can’t think of anything else: this fate gnaws my mind –
because I had so much to do outside.
When they were building the walls, how could I have not noticed!
But I never heard the builders, not a sound.
Imperceptibly they have closed me off from the outside world.
Muri
Con nessuna
considerazione, nessuna pietà, nessuna vergogna,
costruirono
muri intorno a me, spessi e alti.
E ora sto
seduto qui a sentirmi disperato.
Non riesco a
pensare ad altro: questo destino mi tarla la mente –
perché avevo
tanto da fare là fuori.
Quando
costruivano i muri, come ho potuto non accorgermene!
Ma non udii
mai i costruttori, non un suono.
Impercettibilmente
mi chiusero fuori dal mondo esterno.
His language is a mixture of the refined and stilted Greek called Katharevusa, inherited from the Byzantines, and the Demotic, or spoken tongue.

Nessun commento:
Posta un commento
here we are