Because I could not stop for Death -
he kindly stopped for me -
the Carriage held but just Ourselves -
and Immortality -
he kindly stopped for me -
the Carriage held but just Ourselves -
and Immortality -
we slowly drove - he knew no haste
and I had put away
my labor and my leisure too,
for his Civility -
and I had put away
my labor and my leisure too,
for his Civility -
we passed the School, where Children strove
at Recess - in the Ring
we passed the Fields of Gayin Grain -
we passed the Setting Sun -
at Recess - in the Ring
we passed the Fields of Gayin Grain -
we passed the Setting Sun -
or rather - he passed us -
the Dews drew quivering and chill -
for only Gossamer, my Gown -
my Tippet - only Tulle -
the Dews drew quivering and chill -
for only Gossamer, my Gown -
my Tippet - only Tulle -
we paused before a House that seemed
a Swelling of the Ground -
the Roof was scarcely visible -
the Cornice - in the Ground -
a Swelling of the Ground -
the Roof was scarcely visible -
the Cornice - in the Ground -
since then -
'tis Centuries - and yet
feels shorter than the Day
I first surmised the Horses' Heads
were toward Eternity -
feels shorter than the Day
I first surmised the Horses' Heads
were toward Eternity -
Siccome non potevo fermarmi per la morte -
lei gentilmente si fermò per me –
il carro trasportava solo noi –
e l’immortalità.
Lenti andavamo – lei non aveva fretta
e io avevo dimesso
la fatica e pure l’ozio,
per la sua civiltà –
oltrepassai la scuola, dove i bimbi cercarono
i recessi – nell’anello
passai i campi di grano gayin –
passai il sole che tramonta –
o meglio – egli passò noi –
la rugiada divenne tremula e ghiacciata –
siccome era cotone il mio vestito –
e solo tulle - il mio berretto –
sostammo ad una casa che sembrava
rigonfiamento del terreno –
il tetto scarsamente visibile
la cornice – sotto terra –
da allora – sono secoli – eppure
sembra meno di un giorno
in cui supposi le teste dei cavalli
volte verso l’eternità –
*
The end of a
discussion with a prison-guard
Translated by A.Z. Foreman
Click to hear me recite the original Arabic
Through the eyehole of this little cell of mine
I can see the trees all smiling at me,
The rooftops crowded with my family,
The windows breaking into tears for me
And prayers for me.
Through the eyehole of this little cell of mine
I see your bigger cell just fine.
Translated by A.Z. Foreman
Click to hear me recite the original Arabic
Through the eyehole of this little cell of mine
I can see the trees all smiling at me,
The rooftops crowded with my family,
The windows breaking into tears for me
And prayers for me.
Through the eyehole of this little cell of mine
I see your bigger cell just fine.
Fine della discussione con la guardia
carceraria
Dal buco della serratura di questa piccola mia
cella
posso vedere gli alberi tutti sorridermi,
i terrazzi sui tetti affollati con la mia
famiglia,
le finestre per me scoppiare in pianto
e preghiere per me.
Dal buco della serratura di questa piccola mia
cella
vedo le vostre celle proprio bene, poco più
grandi.
Nessun commento:
Posta un commento
here we are