Vladislav
Khodasevich (1886- 1939)
Orpheus
Brightly lit from above I am
sitting
in my circular room; this is I -
looking up at a sky made of stucco,
at a sixty-watt sun in that sky.
in my circular room; this is I -
looking up at a sky made of stucco,
at a sixty-watt sun in that sky.
All around me, and also lit
brightly,
all around me my furniture stands,
chair and table and bed - and I wonder
sitting there what to do with my hands.
all around me my furniture stands,
chair and table and bed - and I wonder
sitting there what to do with my hands.
Frost-engendered white feathery
palmtrees
on the window-panes silently bloom;
loud and quick clicks the watch in my pocket
as I sit in my circular room.
on the window-panes silently bloom;
loud and quick clicks the watch in my pocket
as I sit in my circular room.
Oh, the leaden, the beggarly
bareness
of a life where no issue I see!
Whom on earth could I tell how I pity
my own self and the things around me?
of a life where no issue I see!
Whom on earth could I tell how I pity
my own self and the things around me?
And then clasping my knees I
start slowly
to sway backwards and forwards, and soon
I am speaking in verse, I am crooning
to myself as I sway in a swoon.
to sway backwards and forwards, and soon
I am speaking in verse, I am crooning
to myself as I sway in a swoon.
What a vague, what a passionate
murmur
lacking any intelligent plan;
but a sound may be truer than reason
and a word may be stronger than man.
lacking any intelligent plan;
but a sound may be truer than reason
and a word may be stronger than man.
And then melody, melody, melody
blends my accents and joins in their quest
and a delicate, delicate, delicate
pointed blade seems to enter my breast.
blends my accents and joins in their quest
and a delicate, delicate, delicate
pointed blade seems to enter my breast.
High above my own spirit I tower,
high above mortal matter I grow:
subterranean flames lick my ankles,
past my brow the cool galaxies flow.
high above mortal matter I grow:
subterranean flames lick my ankles,
past my brow the cool galaxies flow.
With big eyes - as my singing
grows wilder -
with the eyes of a serpent maybe,
I keep watching the helpless expression
of the poor things that listen to me.
with the eyes of a serpent maybe,
I keep watching the helpless expression
of the poor things that listen to me.
And the room and the furniture
slowly,
slowly start in a circle to sail,
and a great heavy lyre is from nowhere
handed me by a ghost through the gale.
slowly start in a circle to sail,
and a great heavy lyre is from nowhere
handed me by a ghost through the gale.
And the sixty-watt sun has now
vanished,
and away the false heavens are blown:
on the smoothness of glossy black boulders
this is Orpheus standing alone.
and away the false heavens are blown:
on the smoothness of glossy black boulders
this is Orpheus standing alone.
Orfeo
Ben illuminato dall’alto
siedo
nella mia stanza circolare;
sono io –
guardo in su ad un cielo di
stucco,
verso un sole di sessanta
watt.
Intorno a me, ben
illuminato,
sta il mobilio tuttintorno,
sedia tavolo e letto – mi
domando
qui seduto cosa fare delle
mani.
Generate dal gelo
biancopiumate palme
silenziose fioriscono sui
vetri;
veloce ad alta voce clicca
l’orologio in tasca
mentre siedo nella stanza
circolare.
Oh il plumbeo mendico vuoto
di una vita cui non vedo
scopo!
A chi sulla terra potrei
dire la pietà
che ho per me e le cose
dintorno?
Afferro le ginocchia e
lento inizio
dondolio avanti e indietro,
presto
sto parlando in versi,
canticchio
dondolando nell’incanto.
Quale vago, passionale
mormorio
senza ombra di intelligente
piano;
ma un suono più veo della
ragione
e una parola più forte
dell’uomo.
E poi melodia melodia melodia
armonia di accenti e si
giunge alla ricerca
e delicata delicata
delicata
una punta di lama pare
entrare in petto.
Alto aldisopra del mio
spirito torreggio,
alto sulle faccende mortali
cresco:
fiamme sotterranee leccano
le caviglie,
oltre lo sguardo fluenti le
fresche galassie.
A occhi spalancati – il
canto si fa selvaggio –
con occhi di serpente
forse,
osservo l’inerme
espressione
delle povere cose
all’ascolto.
La stanza il mobilio piano
piano cominciano in cerchio
a veleggiare,
una grande pesante lira dal
nulla
mi porge un fantasma
dall’aria.
Il sole a sessanta watt è
sparito,
e via fu soffiato il cielo finto:
sul liscio di lucidi neri
macigni
qui Orfeo in piedi, solo.
Nessun commento:
Posta un commento
here we are