ph: TroveRete, Ansa, Dall'atmosfera di Giove
Here and now
I found myself in a
house, whose owner I didn’t know. I was told to stay until the situation was
going to improve. However, no one was able to tell me how long I would have to
stay. The place did not scare me, but somehow struck me as strange.
At the back of the house a narrow path lead to the ocean. The salty scent of the sea pervaded the air in every single room of the house. The wind had carried sand from the beach down below my bed. I realized that there was no reason to be frightened. The uncertainty of my situation was bearable. It corresponded to my reality.
In front of the house I was addressed by a young girl. She asked me for my name and wanted to know what brought me here.
I replied: „I don’t know.“
“You don’t know your name?” She looked dazed and began to laugh. Her laughter was contagious, so we both laughed for a little while.
“I can’t seem to remember. And I have no idea where I am.”
X pointed at a dune that was stretching around the path leading towards the ocean.
„Come with me!“- she said.
I followed her towards the sand.
She told me that she was still a little girl when she got here. She couldn’t remember why she came and what she came here for. But she didn’t care, since all that mattered to her was the mere beauty of this place by the ocean she never grew tired to look at.
It was already getting dark, but soon my eyes got accustomed to the fading light. Our naked feet were gliding steadily through the sand. I was breathing heavily and already felt fatigue and sleep overpowering my body.
Once we arrived at the top of the dune we halted and looked down on the black and shiny ocean. The noise of the wind and the ocean waves rolling onto the beach sounded familiar to me. A feeling of happiness overcame me, which was altered by brief moments of overwhelming sadness and melancholy.
As I looked back to the house I noticed that it was cloaked in the same darkness as the ocean. Right in that moment I felt that I had already been here before. I knew this place, this house, this dune and the ocean. More than that, I had never known anything else, even though only a few hours had passed, since I arrived here to gaze at the ocean with X.
At the back of the house a narrow path lead to the ocean. The salty scent of the sea pervaded the air in every single room of the house. The wind had carried sand from the beach down below my bed. I realized that there was no reason to be frightened. The uncertainty of my situation was bearable. It corresponded to my reality.
In front of the house I was addressed by a young girl. She asked me for my name and wanted to know what brought me here.
I replied: „I don’t know.“
“You don’t know your name?” She looked dazed and began to laugh. Her laughter was contagious, so we both laughed for a little while.
“I can’t seem to remember. And I have no idea where I am.”
X pointed at a dune that was stretching around the path leading towards the ocean.
„Come with me!“- she said.
I followed her towards the sand.
She told me that she was still a little girl when she got here. She couldn’t remember why she came and what she came here for. But she didn’t care, since all that mattered to her was the mere beauty of this place by the ocean she never grew tired to look at.
It was already getting dark, but soon my eyes got accustomed to the fading light. Our naked feet were gliding steadily through the sand. I was breathing heavily and already felt fatigue and sleep overpowering my body.
Once we arrived at the top of the dune we halted and looked down on the black and shiny ocean. The noise of the wind and the ocean waves rolling onto the beach sounded familiar to me. A feeling of happiness overcame me, which was altered by brief moments of overwhelming sadness and melancholy.
As I looked back to the house I noticed that it was cloaked in the same darkness as the ocean. Right in that moment I felt that I had already been here before. I knew this place, this house, this dune and the ocean. More than that, I had never known anything else, even though only a few hours had passed, since I arrived here to gaze at the ocean with X.
“Will you go back?” – I
asked her.
“Where?”
“Where you came from.”
“But I come from nowhere.”
“And yet you were not always here.”
“Yes.“
“Where?”
“Where you came from.”
“But I come from nowhere.”
“And yet you were not always here.”
“Yes.“
X lied down next to me
and took my hand. We had lost any sense of the past. Even our future seemed
uncertain. Absorbed in that blind presence we understood each other without any
reason. We both knew that there would be no tomorrow. The night we had chosen
for our first encounter would at the same time be the night we would lose each
other forever. We would simply not recognize one another once the sun would
chase away the darkness of the night in the first gentle, misty morning light.
All that mattered to us was the here and now.
Transl. Lenz Habich
Qui e ora
Mi trovai in una casa,
di cui non conoscevo i padroni. Mi dissero di rimanere fino a che la situazione
non migliorasse. Tuttavia, nessuno fu in grado di dire quanto tempo avrei
dovuto trascorrervi. Il luogo non mi spaventava, ma in qualche modo mi colpiva
la sua stranezza. Dietro la casa un sentiero stretto portava all'oceano. L'aria
salmastra pervadeva la casa in ogni singola stanza. Mi accorsi che non vi era
alcun motivo di avere paura. L'incertezza della situazione era tollerabile.
Corrispondeva alla mia realtà.Sul lato frontale della casa fui avvicinato da
una giovane ragazza. Voleva sapere il mio nome e che cosa mi avesse portato là.
Risposi: "Non lo so." "Non conosci il tuo nome?" Sembrò
folgorata e scoppiò a ridere. Il riso fu contagioso e ridemmo un momento
insieme.
"Mi
pare di non ricordare. E non ho idea di dove mi trovi."
X
indicò una duna che si allargava oltre il sentiero che conduceva all'oceano.
"Vieni
con me!" - disse. La seguii verso la sabbia.
Mi
disse che era ancora una bambina quando arrivò qui. Non riusciva a ricordare
perché e da dove. Ma non le importava, poi che tutto quello a cui faceva caso
era la mera bellezza del luogo presso l'oceano che non si stancava di guardare.
Era
già l'imbrunire ma presto i miei occhi si abituarono all'oscurità. I nostri
piedi nudi scivolavano sicuri sulla sabbia. Respiravo pesantemente e già avvertivo
la fatica e il sonno prendere possesso del mio corpo. Giunti alla cima della
duna ci fermammo a guardare l'oceano scuro e splendente. proprio in
quell'attimo sentii di essere già stato là. Conoscevo luogo, casa, duna e
oceano. Di più, non avevo mai conosciuto altro, sebbene non fossero trascorse
che poche ore dal mio arrivo con X a vedere l'oceano.
"Tornerai indietro?"
- le chiesi. "Dove?" "Dove hai le tue origini." "Ma io
non ne ho da nessuna parte."
Eppure non fosti sempre qui."
"Già." X si stese vicino a me e mi prese la mano.
Avevamo perduto ogni sensazione del passato.
Persino il futuro pareva incerto.
Assorti in quella cieca presenza ci capivamo
senza una ragione. Sapevamo ambedue che non c'era un domani. La notte scelta
per il nostro primo incontro sarebbe stata anche quella in cui avremmo perso
l'altro per sempre. Non ci saremmo semplicemente più riconosciuti una volta che
il sole cacciasse le tenebre nella prima foschia soffice del mattino.
Tutto quel che ci importava era il qui e ora.
trad. Chiara Adezati
*

Nessun commento:
Posta un commento
here we are