Georgien 2008

Georgien 2008

Rābi’a

Rābiˀa Bint Ismāˀīl Al-ˀAdawiyya Al-Qaysiyya



Brothers, my peace is in my aloneness.
My Beloved is alone with me there, always.
I have found nothing in all the worlds
that could match His love,
this love that harrows the sands of my desert.



Fratelli, la mia pace è nel mio essere sola.
Là il mio amato è solo con me, sempre.
Non trovai nulla in tutti i mondi
che possa somigliare al Suo amore,
questo amore che scava le sabbie del mio deserto.




(dalla traduzione inglese di Andrew Harvey)








*



Lover of Lovers
Rābi’a Bint Ismā’īl Al-Adawiyya Al-Qaysiyya
Translated by A.Z. Foreman

Click to hear me recite the original Arabic

My cup, my poured spirit      and companion are three.
I am Rabi'a the fourth,      fevered and longing
For the One I belong to       who waits on me.
Round the clock, round the room,      in the cupbearer's hands
Goes the gratifying cup      of grace and jubilee.
If I stare, none see me      except by Him.
If I'm there, none see the Me     as separate from our We.
O small men who rebuke me,     His beauty has swept me!
By God, I block my ears     to your abuse. I can see.
How many a soulburning      night of surfeiting
Fixation made my head      like a fountainhead weep!
The drops won't dry away,      nor my oneness with Him
Abide, nor my eyes     find ease of sleep.


La mia coppa, il mio spirito versato e compagno sono tre.
Io sono Rabi’a la quarta, febbrile e anelante
all’Uno cui appartengo che mi attende.
Gira l’ora, giro la stanza, in mano a chi regge la coppa
la beatitudine di grazia e giubilo.
Se fisso, nessuno mi vede eccetto Lui.
Se sono là, nessuno vede il me separato dal nostro Noi.
Piccoli uomini che mi riprendete, la Sua bellezza mi ha assorbito!
Grazie a Dio mi tappo l’orecchio al vostro abuso. Io so vedere.
Quante notti brucia anima di eccesso
di ossessione a far piangere la testa come una fontana!
Quanto ho versato non vapora, né il mio essere uno con Lui
permane, né gli occhi trovano riposo.


This little poem (whose Sufi symbology is certainly no prerequisite for its enjoyment, thou it helps to know that the Beloved is not corporeal) is one of several which have come down to us under the name of Rabi'a al-Basri (or Rabi'a al-Adawiyya, or Rabi'a bint Isma'il al-Adawiy etc.), one of the earliest Sufis and, if the attributions are correct, one of maybe a dozen pre-Abbasid Arabic female poets whose name is known and whose works have survived in more than fragmentary form.



Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

here we are