Nizar Qabbani, from Arabic
Nizar Qabbani was famous and/or infamous
(your milage may vary) for writing also poems in a woman's voice- something
most male Arab poets of the time would have considered unmanly in both the
literal and figurative sense. When Qabbani did so, it was almost always an act
of social protest, directed toward misogynists and the society that enabled
them. His odd ability to make impassioned speech in Literary Arabic sound
totally natural and saves such poems from sounding ridiculous.
I want…
I want to write you words
that are unlike any wording,
to invent a language for you alone
to tailor it to the size of your body,
to the breadth of my love.
I want to journey away from the leafed-through dictionary,
to take leave of my mouth.
For I am tired of going the rounds of my mouth
and want another one
that can change when it chooses
into a cherry tree
or a matchbox.
I want a new mouth from which words can emerge
like white nymphs surging out of the ocean foam
like white chicks bursting out of a magician's hat.
Take all the books I read in childhood
take all my grammar-school notebooks
take the chalk and the pens and the blackboards
and teach me a new word I can hear
and hang like an earring on my lover's ear.
I want other fingers
to write another way.
For I hate fingers that are not too long or too short
as I hate trees that neither die nor grow.
I want new fingers
that are unlike any wording,
to invent a language for you alone
to tailor it to the size of your body,
to the breadth of my love.
I want to journey away from the leafed-through dictionary,
to take leave of my mouth.
For I am tired of going the rounds of my mouth
and want another one
that can change when it chooses
into a cherry tree
or a matchbox.
I want a new mouth from which words can emerge
like white nymphs surging out of the ocean foam
like white chicks bursting out of a magician's hat.
Take all the books I read in childhood
take all my grammar-school notebooks
take the chalk and the pens and the blackboards
and teach me a new word I can hear
and hang like an earring on my lover's ear.
I want other fingers
to write another way.
For I hate fingers that are not too long or too short
as I hate trees that neither die nor grow.
I want new fingers
raised high as ship-masts
long as a giraffe's neck
so I can tailor a poetry-garment for my love
that she never wore before me.
I want to fashion you an alphabet
different from all the alphabets,
comprising rhythms of the rain,
the dust of the moon
the sadness of grey clouds
and the aching of the willow-leaves
breaking beneath September's carriage wheels.
long as a giraffe's neck
so I can tailor a poetry-garment for my love
that she never wore before me.
I want to fashion you an alphabet
different from all the alphabets,
comprising rhythms of the rain,
the dust of the moon
the sadness of grey clouds
and the aching of the willow-leaves
breaking beneath September's carriage wheels.
Voglio
Voglio scriverti parole
diverse da ogni altra,
inventare un linguaggio per te sola
su misura sarto del tuo corpo,
respiro del mio amore.
Voglio viaggiare lontano dal dizionario
strasfogliato,
dispensarmi della bocca.
Stanco di girarla
ne voglio un’altra
che si cambi se vuole
in ciliegio
o fiammifero.
Una nuova bocca dove emergano parole
come ninfe sorgono dalla schiuma d’oceano
come polli bianchi dal cappello del mago.
Prendi tutti i libri che lessi nell’infanzia
tutti gli appunti di grammatica
il gesso le penne le lavagne
insegnami nuova parola ch’io ascolti
e appenda all’orecchio del mio amore.
Voglio altre dita
per scrivere diverso.
Odio dita che non siano troppo – lunghe o
corte
come odio alberi che né muoiono né crescono.
Nuove dita
alzate come alberi maestri
come il collo della giraffa
per cucire una poesia-ornamento
che lei mai indossò prima d’ora.
Voglio alla moda di un alfabeto
altro da tutti gli alfabeti,
che comprenda i ritmi della pioggia,
la polvere lunare,
la tristezza di nuvole grigie
e il male delle foglie di salice
che si spezzano sotto le ruote del carro di
settembre.
*
Still
You are still, my traveling dear,
still after these ten years,
still stuck in my side, like a spear.
still after these ten years,
still stuck in my side, like a spear.
Ancòra
Sei ancòra, mio viaggiatore caro,
ancora dopo questi dieci anni,
ancora conficcato nel mio fianco, una lancia.
*
The day the conversation ended
Between your breasts awash in water
And the tribes that battled over water,
That day ended our Golden Age
And began the Age of Decay.
The rainclouds went on strike and said no rain
For the next five hundred years
The spring birds went on strike and stopped all flying
And the ears of grain abstained from procreation
And the fertile crescent moon took on the shape
Of a bottle full of crude oil.
The day they exiled me from the tribe
For leaving a poem and a rose
At the doorflap of your tent,
That day ended our Golden Age
And began the Age of Decay
An age that knew its grammar and syntax
But not a thing of womanhood,
The generations of degeneration
And the erasure of all women's names
From the memory of the nation.
Oh darling
What kind of nation is this,
Policing love like a dirty cop,
Considering the rose
A conspiracy against the regime,
Considering the poem
A manifesto of the underground?
What kind of nation is this
In the form of a yellow locust
Crawling out on its gut from the ocean to the Gulf
From the Gulf to the ocean,
Talking like a holy man all day
And woozy over a woman's navel all night?
What kind of nation is this?
Deleting love's material from curricula.
Deleting poetry,
And women's eyes.
What kind of nation is this?
Going to war with every raincloud,
Opening a classified file for every breast
And filing a police report for every rose.
Oh darling
What are we to do in this nation?
This nation that dare not see its body in the mirror
For fear of craving it?
That dare not hear a woman's voice on the phone
For fear of being too impure to pray?
What are we to do in this nation
That knows all there is to know
Of the October revolution,
Of the Zanj slaves who rose against their Caliph master
Of the Karmathians who stood against the Caliph's armies
And still keeps talking down to women like some Sheikh?
What are we to do in this nation
Between the works of Imam Ash-Shafi'i... and the works of Lenin
Between Qur'anic exegeses.... and Playboy magazines
Between Mu'tazilism... and the music of The Beatles?
O darling dumbfounder, you
Who amaze me like a child's toy,
I feel civilized
For loving you.
I call my poems historical
Because they have been your contemporaries.
All time before your eyes had yet to be,
All time after them went to pieces.
Do not ask me why I'm with you.
I just want an escape from being backwater,
To re-enter the time of water,
I want to defect from the Republic of Thirst,
To leave my backward desert life,
To sit beneath the trees
And bathe in springwater
And learn the names of the flowers.
I want you to teach me to read and write
For writing on your body is the ABC
Of entry into civilization.
Your body is not counterculture.
No, it is culture incarnate.
Whoever does not read the notebooks of your body
Will spend his life illiterate.
Più raffinato a leggere il tuo corpo
Il giorno che finì la conversazione
fra i tuoi seni a bagno in acqua
e le tribù che si davano battaglia sull’acqua,
quel giorno finì l’età dell’oro
ed iniziò la decadenza.
Le nubi si misero in sciopero, niente pioggia
per i prossimi cinquecento anni
gli uccelli di primavera smisero di volare
le spighe si astennero dal procreare
e la fertile luna crescente prese la forma
di una bottiglia piena di olio crudo.
Il giorno che mi esiliarono dalla tribù
per aver lasciato una poesia e una rosa
sulla soglia della tua tenda
quel giorno finì l’età dell’oro
ed iniziò la decadenza.
età che sapeva grammatica e sintassi
ma nulla di nulla della femminilità,
generazioni degeneri
cancellature di tutti i nomi di donna
dalla memoria della nazione.
Oh carissimo
che nazione è questa,
lustra l’amore come tazze sporche,
considera la rosa
cospirazione contro il regime,
considera la poesia
un manifesto dell’underground.
Che nazione è questa
in forma di locusta gialla
che si arrampica dal suo guscio oceanico al
golfo
dal golfo all’oceano,
tutto il tempo parla come un santuomo
e bisbiglia la notte sull’ombelico di donna.
Che nazione è questa?
distrugge materiali d’amore dai curriculum.
distrugge poesia,
e occhi delle donne.
Che nazione è questa?
va alla guerra con ogni nube di pioggia,
apre un file di elenco per ogni seno
e compila un verbale di polizia per ogni rosa.
Oh carissimo
cosa stiamo a fare in questa nazione?
Nazione che non si vede il corpo allo specchio
per tema di desiderarlo?
Che non osa as colto di voce femminile al
telefono
per tema d’essere impuro alla preghiera?
Cosa stiamo a fare in questa nazione
che sa tutto quel che c’è da sapere
della rivoluzione d’ottobre
degli schiavi Zanj ribelli al califfo padrone
dei Karmazi che resistettero contro le sue
armi
e ancora parlano alle donne come sceicchi?
Cosa stiamo a fare in questa nazione
fra opere di Imam Ash-Shafi'i... e opere di Lenin
fra esegesi
craniche… e riviste playboyche
fra
Mu'tazilismi… e la musica dei Beatles?
Oh amore che confondi, tu
che mi
affascini come giocattolo i bimbi,
mi sento
civilizzato
perché ti amo.
Chiamo i miei
poemi storici
perché tuoi
contemporanei.
Il tempo tutto
prima che esistessero i tuoi occhi,
il tempo tutto
dopo che andarono in pezzi.
Non chiedermi perché sono con te.
mi basta una fuga dall’essere onda di ritorno,
rientrare nel tempo dell’acqua,
defezione dalla Repubblica della sete,
lasciare la mia vita desertica volta indietro,
sedere fra gli alberi
bagnarmi presso acqua di fonte
imparare i nomi dei fiori.
Voglio tu m’insegni a leggere e scrivere
perché scrivere sul tuo corpo è l’ABC
di ingresso alla civiltà.
Il tuo corpo non controcultura.
No, cultura incarnata.
Chi non abbia letto gli appunti del tuo corpo
resterà per la vita illetterato.
Nessun commento:
Posta un commento
here we are