A persianate song
What cruel answer have I heard!
and yet, by heaven, I love thee still:
can aught be cruel from thy lip?
yet say, how fell that bitter word
from lips which streams of sweetness fill,
which nought but drops of honey sip?
Go boldly forth, my simple lay,
whose accents flow with artless ease,
like orient pearls at random strung:
thy notes are sweet, the damsels say;
but O ! far sweeter, if they please
the nymph for whom these notes are sung.
Sir William Jones , A persian song of Hafez
(i.e. a very, very free translation of Hafez' agar ān turk-i šērāzī)
Desire calls out for me to answer, and from faraway I do.
When she's as far as May is from December, what else may I do?
Much though I said "I do not fall
For love's insane long-distance call"
When you push me against the wall
Of lust, I'll scream "okay, I do."
Your mercy spares my heart the ache
Of a trite, unrequited break.
Who has a fresher, hotter take
On love's rhyme-worn cliché? I do.
Since the first Man took form from Eve,
Courtly boybands all make, believe
And croon that tune of "Love and grieve."
Who wants new songs to play? I do.
Where in the world is there a Rose
That can by turns of verse compose
The nightingale's reply? None knows
The answer quite the way I do.
Dear Turk, pray hold me, heart and hand,
For a hard thousand-and-one-night stand
As Tamerlane held Samarkand.
When desire says "obey," I do.
Go forth, paired verses from my tongue
Like orient pearls in tandem sung.
May she for whom these words are strung
Hear this, for what I say - I do:
When you take me from dusk to dawn
As Alexander took Iran
I'll learn by heart love's whole Qur'an.
I'm waiting for the day I do.
Canzone di tipo persiano
Che risposta crudele ho ora udito!
eppure, per i cieli, ti amo ancora:
puoi essere crudele dalle labbra?
ma dimmi come fa a cader da labbra
che fiumi riempiono di dolcezza
quella amara parola, se nientaltro
solo gocce di miele sorseggiano?
Vai dunque baldanzoso mio semplice lamento,
accenti fluirono con facilità senza maestrìa,
perle d’oriente gettate a caso:
le tue note madama dice dolci;
ma oh molto più se piacessero
a ninfa per la quale sono cantate.
Sir William Jones , A persian song of Hafez
Desiderio chiama e di lontano ubbidisco.
Se è lontana lei quanto maggio da dicembre,
che fare?
Per quanto ripetessi: non cadrò
a richiamo che è insano a distanza,
quando tu mi premi contro il muro
di piacere, io grido: okay lo farò.
Tuo favore risparmia il mio cuore
di una trita non richiesta spezzatura.
Chi ha più fresca e più calda presa
su abusata rima d’amore? io.
Se ebbe forma da Eva il primo Uomo,
ci fa credere la banda dei ragazzi
la tal canzone di amore di dolore.
Chi vuol novi canti sonare? Io.
Dove mai trovare al mondo una Rosa
che a sua volta versi sappia comporre
in risposta all’usignolo? non sa
alcuno ribattere come so io.
Turco caro, tieni prego cuore e mano,
per una seduta da mille e una notte
come Tamerlano Samarcanda.
Quanto dice desiderio io faccio.
Via, versi accoppiati, dalla mia lingua
quali perle orientali in tandem canto.
Possa lei per cui sono vergati
ascoltarli, che quel che dico faccio:
se mi prendi dal crepuscolo all’alba
come prese Alessandro la Persia
imparerò a memoria il Corano.
Non vedo l’ora.
Nessun commento:
Posta un commento
here we are