Samuel
Butler (1835-1902)
Erewhon
If the reader will excuse me, I will say nothing of my antecedents, nor of the circumstances which led me to leave my native country; the narrative would be tedious to him and painful to myself. Suffice it, that when I left home it was with the intention of going to some new colony, and either finding, or even perhaps purchasing, waste crown land suitable for cattle or sheep farming, by which means I thought that I could better my fortunes more rapidly than in England. It will be seen that I did not succeed in my design, and that however much I may have met with that was new and strange, I have been unable to reap any pecuniary advantage. |
Se il lettore mi scuserà, non dirò nulla dei miei trascorsi, nè delle circostanze che mi indussero a lasciare il mio paese natale; il racconto sarebbe noioso per lui e penoso per me. Sarà sufficiente dire che quando lasciai la mia casa fu con l'intenzione di andare in qualche nuova colonia, sia per cercare, o poi magari acquistare, una terra disabitata adatta per l'allevamento di mucche o pecore, col quale mezzo pensavo di migliorare la mia fortuna più rapidamente che in Inghilterra. Si vedrà che non ebbi successo con il mio progetto, e che per quanto mi potesse essere dato riuscirvi che era nuovo e insolito, non fui in grado di ricavare alcun vantaggio pecuniario. |
The
way of all flesh
When I was a small boy at the beginning of the century I remember an old man who wore knee-breeches and worsted stockings, and who used to hobble about the street of our village with the help of a stick. He must have been getting on for eighty in the year 1807, earlier than which date I suppose I can hardly remember him, for I was born in 1802. A few white locks hung about his ears, his shoulders were bent and his knees feeble, but he was still hale, and was much respected in our little world of Paleham. His name was Pontifex. His wife was said to be his master; I have been told she brought him a little money, but it cannot have been much. She was a tall, square-shouldered person (I have heard my father call her a Gothic woman) who had insisted on being married to Mr Pontifex when he was young and too good-natured to say nay to any woman who wooed him. The pair had lived not unhappily together, for Mr Pontifex's temper was easy and he soon learned to bow before his wife's more stormy moods.
[...]
|
Così
la carne tutta
Quando ero ragazzino verso l'inizio del secolo, ricordo un vecchio che indossava calzoni al ginocchio e calzettoni consunti, e che era solito andare in giro zoppicando per le strade del paese con l'aiuto di un bastone. Doveva essere sugli ottanta nel 1807, data prima della quale non credo di ricordarmelo perché nacqui nel 1802. Qualche rara ciocca di capelli bianchi pendeva sulle orecchie, le spalle curve e le ginocchia deboli, eppure era ancora arzillo e molto rispettato dal nostro piccolo mondo di Paleham. Si chiamava Pontifex. Si diceva che la moglie fosse il suo capo; ho sentito dire che gli aveva portato qualche soldo ma non doveva certo essere stato molto. Lei era alta con spalle quadrate (udii mio padre chiamarla una donna gotica) e aveva insistito per farsi sposare da Mr. Pontifex quando egli era giovane e troppo buono per dire di no a qualunque donna gli avesse fatto la corte. La coppia non aveva vissuto infelice, dato che Mr. Pontifex era di buon carattere ed egli imparò subito ad inchinarsi davanti alle sfuriate della moglie. |
Nessun commento:
Posta un commento
here we are